EA Sports Cup Semi Final


Bohemians’ terrific run in cup competitions was brought to a shuddering halt as old rivals Shamrock Rovers put the Gypsies to the sword in the EA Sports Cup Semi Final. The defending champions punished poor defending at the start of both halves to send Owen Heary’s men crashing out at the penultimate stage. Goals from Kieran ‘Marty’ Waters and Dean Kelly were enough to send the Hoops into their 3rd consecutive League Cup final in front of a big Bank Holiday crowd, writes KEVIN FAGAN.


The visitors, under the guidance of caretaker manager John Gill, started brightly, and carved out the first opportunity of the game after just two minutes. Derek Pender was beaten to the ball in the left back position by Rovers’ Sean O’Connor, who delivered a perfect cross for Ryan Brennan. Luckily for Bohs, the former Drogheda man sent his diving header high and wide into the hooped horde behind the goal.

The opening goal wasn’t long in coming however, and it was one that would keep Owen Heary awake at night. A defensive mix-up between Pender and Aidan Price allowed the ball to bounce through to the unmarked Waters, who stroked the ball underneath the onrushing Dean Delany to put the Tallaght side ahead. Cue delirium from the otherwise subdued Shamrock Rovers fans in the Des Kelly Stand.

Bohs grew into the game without creating many real clear cut opportunities. Set pieces and Anto Murphy long throws were the only bother to Rovers, with Dave Mulcahy twice coming close with close range headers. Jason Byrne perhaps had the best chance just before the break, but he snatched at a left-footed shot that went wide past Barry Murphy’s left-hand post.

Heary signalled his intent with the half-time introduction of Dinny Corcoran for Craig Walsh, but the second half was just 8 minutes old when the Hoops landed the killer blow. Derek Pender was caught out again down the right side, allowing Ryan Brennan to clip a ball toward the back post. The cross should have been intercepted by Roberto Lopes, but he slipped and fell, allowing Dean Kelly to poke home the second with some ease.

The second goal seemed to stun the Gypsies on and off the field, with the atmosphere in the Jodi Stand turning against referee Robert Rogers. While Rogers had a relatively poor game, the home side could have no real qualms with the result. They huffed and puffed in the last half an hour without really creating much in the way of clear cut chances. Again, scrambles from corners were the only scraps on offer. Owen Heary must now lift the side for a trip to UCD on Friday. The FAI Cup date with Cork City now takes on greater significance – it is Bohs’ last chance of silverware in 2014.

Bohemians: Dean Delany, Anto Murphy, Aidan Price, Roberto Lopes, Derek Pender, Keith Buckley (Adam Evans, 81) Eoin Wearen, Dave Mulcahy, Karl Moore (Steven Beattie, 60) Craig Walsh (Dinny Corcoran, 46) Jason Byrne. Subs not used: Aaron Shanahan, Jack Memery, Ryan McEvoy, Jake Hyland.

Shamrock Rovers: Barry Murphy, Simon Madden, David O’Connor, Conor Kenna, Luke Byrne, Sean O’Connor (Ciaran Kilduff), Ryan Brennan, Shane Robinson, Ronan Finn, Dean Kelly, Kieran ‘Marty’ Waters (Karl Sheppard, 50). Subs not used: Craig Hyland, Jason McGuinness, Evan Osam, Stephen McPhail, Rob Cornwall.

Website by Simon Alcock