Bohs fall to Rovers comeback in 3-2 defeat to Dublin rivals


A blustery Tallaght Stadium saw the Bohemian MU19s take on Dublin rivals, Shamrock Rovers, in an EA Sports LOI Academy League clash.

The Bohemian squad were looking to build on a week which saw Chris Lotefa and Jack McCormack score their first senior team goals for the club in a 5-0 Leinster Senior Cup Final triumph against Usher Celtic.

McCormack got the action underway and sought to put the home side under immediate pressure. O’Reilly created the first chance of the game within the first two minutes after dispossessing a loose Rovers pass and embarked on a great solo run before his effort pulled wide of the Rovers goal.

The early pressure and work-rate from Bohs was rewarded in the 7th minute when Bohemians scored the first of the game. Dean Williams won a free-kick in a dangerous position after being bundled over by the Rovers centre-half as he sought to control the ball. McCormack delivered a low-driven ball which the Rovers keeper spilled into his six-yard box before being rifled into the roof of the net by Nickson Okosun.

Bohs doubled their advantage in the 13th minute when Pharell Manuel picked up the ball in the centre of the pitch before a short-run opened the Rovers back-line; his first effort was deflected off a hooped shirt but found itself at the feet of Manuel again who calmly curled the ball beyond the Rovers keeper.

Rovers slowly grew into the game and began to create chances. An excellent Rovers cross, which looked destined to meet an arriving Rovers head, was intelligently intercepted by Louis Holzman.

Bohs were continuing to tirelessly pressure the Rovers backline in possession and making it extremely uncomfortable for Rovers to play out from the back with Okosun and O’Reilly forcing several Bohs corners.

Rovers managed to pull a goal back from the penalty spot in the 41st minute when Onesime Tembe was brought down by Jack McCormack just inside the area. Tembe converted the penalty after sending the Bohs #1, Collins, the wrong way.

The second half saw a rejuvenated and confident Rovers side determined to find an equaliser with Joseph Collins forced into a series of excellent early saves.

Rovers found the leveller in the 51st when a long-diagonal ball found space behind the Bohs backline. A foot race ensued between Bohs Joseph Collins and Rovers Tembe. The Bohs keeper was only able to throw himself at the ball which ricocheted off his body finding the feet of Cian Curtis who turned the ball into an open goal from the edge of the box.

Bohs were slow to grow into the second half and struggled to cope with the intensity of a resurgent Rovers. The Hoops completed their comeback in the 65th minute when Daniel Bergin met a low-driven cross which was slotted passed Collins.

Rovers continued to control the tempo of the game and pepper Collins’ goal. A series of substitutions by Bohs sought to inject some freshness into the game and they chased an equaliser.

The final ten minutes were a period of high Bohs pressure which saw Rovers forced to regularly clear their lines. Bohs’ best chance of the closing stages fell to the feet of Adetobi Jinadu who’s edge of the box effort fizzed over the Rovers bar.

Soon after, referee Jack White brought proceedings to a close as Bohemians fell to a 3-2 defeat to Shamrock Rovers.


Bohemians: J Collins, F Cowper Gray, S McMahon, J McCormack, B Gilmore, N Okosun, J O’Reilly, P Manuel, D Williams, A Jinadu, L Holzman Substitutes: A Stuart Trainor, R Kane, A O’Brien, T Mooney, P Grogan, L Cailloce, A Guneyer, A Seruga, S Tracey.

Shamrock Rovers: T Letis, A Condron, C O’Sullivan, F Turley, C Lennox, Z Abada, C Curtis, J O’Sullivan, O Tembe, N Razi, N O’Kelly. Substitutes: E Jakas, D Avenbuan, D Bergin, O Jakas G Tetteh, K Dignam, A Corish.

Website by Simon Alcock